Falcons take down cross-town rivals

Damon Manasa, Staff Writer

The Farmington Falcons vs Farmington Flyers (North/Harrison) hockey game is an annual rivalry game. This year’s game concluded with a victory for the Farmington Falcons, who won 5-0 against their cross-town rivals. Both teams battled it out for the Bill Newton cup.

Farmington scored first and never let go of the lead. Forward Danny Heffron, 12 started off the scoring fest for Farmington with an even strength goal with 4:31 remaining in the first period.

The game stayed 1-0 through two periods when the Falcons started to put it on them, scoring four goals in the third period. Forward Carter Wells, 12, got the first with an even strength goal with 14:51 remaining in the game. Forward Ben Jugan, 11, kept the momentum going for the falcons with a goal of his own  (10:18); forward Matt Nieman, 11, added another goal to the scoreboard at (2:12), and Heffron, to put the cherry on top, got his second on the day (1:30), to make the lead 5-0.

Goalie Andrew Eaton, 12, was a brick wall throughout the whole game getting the shutout and win for Farmington.

“My Goal was just to play to my ability, what I know I’m capable of, keep the guys relaxed and stay to the game plan,” Eaton said.  

Eaton stopped 15 shots on net not allowing one Flyers player to give their team a chance for victory.

Brad Levick, Farmington’s co-coach, analyzed the team’s performance.

“We knew they (Flyers) were going to come out battling. All we could do was stick to our game plan and play our level of hockey,” Levick said.

Levick has been through a couple Flyers game in his life, from either playing or coaching. The rivalry has been around Levick’s life since his hay day in high school.

Levick’s co-team coach, Topher Gendron, also has played in the rivalry.

“Playing does not compare to coaching at all. Of course, I’d love to strap the skates back on and get out there but with the way the boys played it was just as exciting,” said Gendron.

Senior captains Joe Carbone and Tanner Neils are in their  last season on the Farmington Hockey team. They have experienced the Farmington vs Flyer rivalry for four seasons now.

“Playing in the rivalry game every year has helped me overcome the nerves that it comes with.  There’s a strong distaste towards each other so we expected it to be a chippy game,” said Carbone.

With such a big game occurring and young guys on the team, it was the captain’s job to ease everyone’s nerves and keep everyone’s minds focused.

“In order to get the outcome we wanted, us captains had to take leadership and role model the younger guys in such a big game like this,” said Neill.

The Falcons will have the opportunity to make it two wins on the Flyers as they face them for another meeting in the new year.