DECA participants have high hopes for district competition

Caitlin Sheltrown, Staff Writer

DECA students began down the road to districts, hopefully states, and possibly internationals on Dec. 11, taking a test in each of their respective events for a chance to get past districts and onto states in Detroit.

DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America, and it prepares its participants for careers in entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, and hospitality and management. DECA competition consists of testing and roleplaying, but testing is one of the most important things a student to do well on.

Before competitors can think about the greatness they could accomplish at the state level competition, they have to prepare for district competition.

Emily Pace, 11, is a first-year DECA member, and she knows how important studying is to advance.

“I looked up a bunch of buying and merchandising quizlets, as well as online tests,” said Pace.

All students who have taken a marketing class are allowed to participate in DECA, and Sydney MIllis, 12, is a second-year competitor who went to internationals last year in Anaheim Calif. Millis is also the vice-president of social events for Farmington’s DECA chapter.

“It’s important to study for the test because if roleplay isn’t your strong suit, then a good test score goes along way. For competition the biggest thing is to practice self-confidence,” said Millis.

Haley Willick has been a marketing teacher and DECA advisor at FHS for the last four years. Willick encourages all of her students to partake in DECA due to the fact that it can be a great organization to put on a college app or resume.

“DECA is a really great opportunity to grow professionally in areas such as communication and presenting which gives students real-world practice that’ll help in college and future plans,” said Willick.

Wilick is a big advocate for DECA and is always adamant about having all of the kids involved in DECA competing at districts to move onto states.

“I hand out hard copy older model  tests that have been used in years before. We also use a site called competition university which is a third-party site created to help students prepare for the testing. Quizlet is always a good option as well,” Willick said.

DECA districts take place on Jan. 13 at Lakeland High School.