FHS choir performs in series of winter events

Robyn Banks, Staff Writer

The Farmington High School choir classes have had an eventful holiday season so far. They began with a caroling outing at Fresh Thyme Market and to finish off before Christmas break, the choirs from Farmington, Power Middle School and East Middle School are combining for the annual Winter Concert. Each student has expressed their excitement about the holidays and the upcoming concert.

On Dec. 9, the Madrigal and Women’s choirs visited Fresh Thyme for the second year in a row to sing popular Christmas carols to the local shoppers. Some members were very excited for round two this year. Last year, Antione McCoy, 11, and Sophia Franklin, 12, both former Concert Choir members and current Madrigal choir members, attended the outing and were ready to sing again this year.

“I love going out in public and singing as a group. It really shows members of the community what goes on in the arts programs in high school and I love seeing their surprised expressions,” McCoy said.

McCoy’s favorite part about last year was flash mobbing Starbucks Coffee just across the street. After caroling, the group went into grab coffee and sing for the customers inside.

The students have also been preparing for their Winter Concert on Dec. 20. Alan Garza, 9, is excited but very aware that he personally needs some extra work just like many of his other classmates.

“I feel like I need to go over songs some more but I will be prepared by the time the concert comes around,” Garza said.

Each choir, including the choirs from Power Middle School and East Middle School, will sing their individually practiced songs then they join together every year to sing Light A Candle by Keen/arr. Jay Althouse. As a tribute to the graduating class, the seniors start the song off by singing the first two verses alone. Franklin is excited for the concert but sad that this will be her last Winter Concert in high school. She will also miss having Mrs. Gippert as a director.

“I love Mrs. Gippert. She’s very encouraging and cares about us as individuals, not just students. She also works very well with our schedules because she knows that we all have a lot that goes on besides choir,” Franklin said.

Angel Gippert, FHS choir director, is also very excited for the concert. Unfortunately, she was out for a month because of an injury that she had to get surgery for, but she’s back and trying her best to prepare everyone with as much time as she has left.

“The students worked very hard at learning all of their songs while I was away, and of course there is always room for improvement but I believe that they will be prepared for the concert,” Gippert said.

Gippert can’t wait to showcase Madrigal choir’s version of 12 Days of Christmas with a very special performance by two FHS staff members to go along with it.