Women should continue to speak up

Hailee Ryan, Staff Writer

Harvey led me into a bedroom-his bedroom and announced that he wanted to give me a massage. I thought he was joking at first. He was not. For the first time since I met him  I felt unsafe.” Hollywood actress Lupita Nyong’o recently published her story in the New York Times, sharing her own allegations regarding Harvey Weinstein.

“I had shelved my experience with Harvey far in the recesses of my mind, joining in the conspiracy of silence that has allowed that predator to prowl for so many years,” said Nyong’o. Nyong’o is not the only woman accusing Weinstein for sexual assault. Many other women are coming out about the allegations as other celebrities are being accused for sexual assault and harassment as well.    

The Weinstein scandal has sparked a national conversation about sexual misconduct and to come forward with accusations ranging form groping to rape. Eighty-one men have been accused of sexual misconduct after the Harvey Weinstein allegations. More women who hear about other women coming out about sexual allegations feel more comfortable about opening up about sexual incidents they experienced.

“Like most women in these situations I didn’t say anything, but I have thought a lot about what I’d say if I ever saw him again,” said Annamarie Tendler, another alleged victim of the Weinstein allegations.  Women have a hard time coming out with the truth due to fear or others not believing them especially if it’s celebrities committing the sexual acts against them.

A group of women who have publicly accused president Donald Trump of sexual harassment and assault detailed their accounts of being groped, fondled, and forcibly kissed. Women feel intimidated by men and don’t tend to fight back due to tight circumstances. Men take advantage of women because they perceive women as being less likely to do something about it or defend themselves. Men attack women who look weaker and know they won’t speak up about the incidents.

If women don’t speak up about sexual assaults, then men like Weinstein and Trump will continue acting on these silent women. Women need to encourage others to speak up and let their voice be known. It’s okay not to be okay.