Open lunches: a positive action to take

Sarah Ericksen, Staff Writer

Farmington High School has a new rule for this school year: No students are allowed to eat out in the hallway during lunch this year where they used to be able to in past years. Open campus lunches have been closed for a while, and many students feel as if they are slowly losing more and more of their freedom.

Students in Farmington High School had open campus lunch during some point in history but that privilege was taken away and now, kids aren’t allowed to even sit out in the hallway. School goes on for around seven hours at Farmington High School. If we take out each 5-minute passing time and lunch, which is about 25 minutes, that leaves us with 5-6 hours day sitting in a classroom, 180 days a year. That’s about 1,080 hours of sitting. Many students see lunch as their break to not be serious about school but with the closed campus, and the closed lunch room as well, lunch is starting to feel like just another class where students can’t let go.

Off campus lunches would positively affect our school’s atmosphere and improve kids responsibility. “What are the Benefits of Open Campus Lunches,” an article written by Susan Revermann, states, “Teens need a sense of autonomy to make positive choices, learn responsibility, etc. With open lunches, teens have the choice to decide what they do with their time and give them a sense of responsibility.” Another article called “Many Benefits of Off Campus Lunches” by Connor Kelley states, “off campus lunches give students a sense of freedom with their choices. It gives high schoolers a sense of responsibility.”

Open lunches make high schoolers gain responsibility in many ways. By letting students leave the school to buy their own food, they will start to understand the cost of eating out every day and how much money is lost when people do that, making them have to choose between having a cheaper lunch at school or eating a more expensive lunch and losing more money.

Not many students know that we had open campus lunch at a time, but now we can take steps to make it a reality for our school and students. We could bring the subject to the surface, causing the principal to take action, maybe even change the policy if enough students were coming to him about open campus lunches as well as get more students on the side of getting the open campus lunches. There are downsides like people skipping, but the payoff of gaining more responsibility is larger by a great amount.