Student-athletes commit to colleges

Robyn Banks, Staff Writer

Farmington High School is full of senior student athletes who have big plans for the future. Abbey Smentowski plans on playing lacrosse at Lawrence Tech University, Nick Trevisan will run cross country at the University of Michigan, and Deven Mahanti is going to join the baseball team at Kalamazoo College. Each student has worked hard for the past four years and has excelled in school and in their sport in order to get to where they are today.

Smentowski, one of the top lacrosse players at FHS, has verbally committed to play at LTU. Smentowski decided to start playing her freshman year because her friends on the field hockey team told her it would be fun. It made playing enjoyable for her and she picked it up pretty naturally. Smentowski chose LTU for their good nursing program, and they’re offering her $24,000 a year to attend. She is very excited to go play at the collegiate level.

“I can’t wait to play on a team where everyone is so invested and wants to be good,” Smentowski said.

Smentowski has her parents and her lacrosse coach to thank for getting her to this level and pushing her to be better. She would also thank her friends who encouraged her and “hyped her up” every season.

Trevisan recently committed U of M to run cross country. Trevisan started his freshman year after his mom told him he had to do a high school sport. He chose cross country because of his sister, who ran at FHS.

“I thought it would be fun to run with her,” Trevisan said.

Trevisan’s sister inspired him to run because of her early success and commitment to U of M. He is hoping to follow in her footsteps.

Trevisan trains for two to three hours a day. That includes weight lifting and running up to 60 miles a week. His favorite part of each season is watching himself improve, and his least favorite would have to be backing off of his training to avoid injury. Unfortunately, in the last month of this year’s season, he sustained a stress fracture in his shin and had to stop running.

Although he didn’t get to finish the season, Trevisan is still very excited for the future. He is ready to work under his new coach, who happens to be an Olympian. He is also excited to train with a group of talented guys every day.

Mahanti, catcher for the FHS varsity baseball team, just verbally committed to Kalamazoo College. He began playing at a very young age. When he was only three, Mahanti used to watch his older brother throw a ball around with their dad in the backyard. Thanks to his parents and older brother, he is now on a successful track into playing at a high level and even closer to reaching his long term goal of playing MLB when he’s older. Mahanti thanks one of his old coaches, Coach Scott. In the two years that he played under him, Coach Scott taught him how to play the game and have fun while playing.

Mahanti can’t wait to play at Kalamazoo in their successful program.

“I’m excited to go to a school where I can just chill,” Mahanti said. “I chose Kalamazoo because of the small but diverse atmosphere.”

Trevisan officially signed with U of M on Nov. 9.

Mahanti and Smentowski plan to do their official signing soon.