District committee aims to increase conversations about diversity

Jonathan Korte, Staff Writer

In the United States, the word diversity has been thrown out a lot. At Farmington High School there is a group dedicated to spreading diversity, called the District Diversity Committee (DDC).

The DDC has monthly meetings to discuss issues such as cultural diversity, identity, and how to communicate diversity. It is supervised by Naomi Khalil, director of instructional equity.

The DDC is a student-led body. According to member Claudia Kramer, 12, students that run the group are “really really committed.” The students are very active within the DDC and spread the news of diversity to their fellow students.

Diversity, according to people that have a connection with DDC, is typically defined as the differences among peoples which can be put in a positive or negative connotations. The DDC wants to remove most and/or all of these negative connotations associated with the word.

According to math teacher Dennis Hermani, who attended a DDC meeting, the rival of diversity is “close-mindedness,” especially “joking terminology;” while according to DDC members, it is the lack of communication on the topic of diversity.

In order to address this issue of terminologies, FHS’s DDC is in the process of making a video on a term called “microaggressions.” Microaggressions, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, are “a comment or action that subtly and often unconsciously or unintentionally expresses a prejudiced attitude toward a member of a marginalized group.”

Another way the DDC promotes diversity is by having open discussions. Khalil said a lot of discussions within the DDC are about the expression of identity, and how to improve oration when discussing the foundations of diversity. Khalil also mentioned that the goal of the DDC is to “create a more accepting, supportive environment for all of our community members.”

Furthermore, Hermani said that “kids are better than adults at respecting diversity.” He called it “encouraging.” He also said that diversity should come naturally to society and the Farmington community if people realize that there are more similarities among people than real differences.

Other issues that the DDC is looking into are school dress codes and more ethnically diverse curriculum.