Varsity boys basketball team to play at the new Little Caesars Arena

Calvin Whitlow, Staff Writer

On Feb. 5, the boys varsity basketball team will play at the new Little Caesars Arena against Groves High School. This opportunity will hopefully bring a lot of positive attention to the community, as parents and community members watch the team play and compete at a big platform.

The Little Caesars Arena opened Sept. 5. It is the third-largest ice hockey arena in the world by seating capacity (20,000). The Detroit Red Wings share the arena with the Detroit Pistons.

Varsity basketball coach Terrance Porter is going on his eighth season with the team, which is a mixture of seniors and younger players, and is ready to see them play in this venue.

“I’m excited about this team. We are athletic and should be fun to watch,” said Porter.

Coach Porter explained that a Pistons representative contacted him to offer the team a chance to play in the new area.

“I jumped at the opportunity. It’s not every day that high school teams get the opportunity to play on an NBA court or arena,” Porter said. “I’m hoping this will be a memory for the players that they can tell their children and grandchildren that they played in an NBA arena.”

Mary Sheltrown, athletic director, said, “I think it’s fun to have the kids play at the arena. Kids can look back and remember playing at these places.”

Ray Bryant, FHS senior basketball player, said, “It’s gonna be a good experience and a good platform.”    He also stated that “it might be hard to shoot at the NBA three-point line but I feel like it will be quick to adjust to.”

Key players returning for FHS are seniors Ray Bryant, Bashar Shalal, Christian Smith, Austin Anthony, Russell Norris, Noah Gjokaj and two freshmen – Jaden Akins and Tariq Holmes.

Tickets will be $28. With the purchase of a ticket, spectators will be able to watch both high school basketball and the Detroit Pistons play all in one day.