Varsity baseball sets sights on return to state championship

Matt Nieman, Staff Writer

FHS baseball has had a very good season so far with a 16-8, record along with beating their rival North Farmington.

The varsity team has ten seniors with six juniors and a couple sophomores who get called up occasionally. Led by Pete Finn, the unit hopes to continue this great season, and they will continue to work hard. Although the Falcons got knocked out of the playoffs last year in the first round, they are looking to redeem themselves this season.

“Last year we lost to Harrison in a tough 3-2 battle after beating them three times in the regular season. This year we have a chip on our shoulder, and we aren’t taking anything for granted,” stated senior third baseman Matthew Lane. “This is the last opportunity for many seniors to play baseball so we’re gonna play our hearts out. I would say that every year our program has a chance to make it to the state championship. We were there back in 2007 and we are itching to get back.”

The future of the baseball team looks promising as many young players have excelled at their position along with the JV team doing very well. Multiple sophomores have stepped up to varsity and performed well while playing against bigger and stronger people. This better prepares our young players to be able to compete in the years to come.

“I think it looks really good. We have a coach who puts a lot of pride into younger players and with the closing of Harrison we will have a bigger pool of players to increase our talent level,” said Lane.

The squad can perform under high intensity situations and they know how to stay in control and get the job done.

“A very big game for us was against West Bloomfield. The team performed well and we had some timely hits and one of our biggest rallies of the season and most importantly we held onto the lead and played some stellar defense,” declared senior Carlos Allen.

Another exciting thing about Farmington baseball is that Elliot Edsall, 12, has committed to Albion College to further his baseball career. Edsall is an all-star pitcher who can help the team out both on the field and off. Several other players are playing at community or junior colleges.

As far as the rest of the year, Farmington played their other rival, Harrison on May 16 in a back-to-back series where they lost the first game 5-9, won the second game 15-5, and won the third game 22-6. The team will begin their State Championship run June 3, looking for their first appearance since 2007.