Seniors balance school, athletics, extracurriculars

Nicole Kasmikha, Staff Writer

High school students have rough schedules, especially those who are approaching new and challenging obstacles in their lives. Two seniors in particular, Jay Kirby, basketball player, and Dana Matson, artist, have exciting futures ahead of them.  

Matson is going to Columbia College for photography. Her daily schedule involves going to school, babysitting and drawing or doing homework. She started drawing when she was five, and has done many pieces involving art and photography. She is also currently taking art classes outside of school. Matson has done other activities before, but art has always been her true passion.

Matson admits that life has gotten somewhat easier now that she’s nearly done with high school.

“I get home and do what I do every day, I don’t have much homework now that I’m a senior so it’s easier for me,” said Matson.

Matson isn’t the only one with an interesting future. Kirby has earned a basketball scholarship to Adrian College. Kirby has been playing basketball for 13 years now and has gotten a lot of training in and out of school. His schedule includes waking up at 5 a.m. to train, going to school, eating, lifting/training, then having dinner and sleeping. He trains 5-6 days a week, and also played varsity basketball for Farmington High School for two years. Kirby’s training includes weightlifting, dribbling, and other techniques used to help in his pathway to success.  

There are no magic tricks to balancing his schedule. Kirby relies on good old-fashioned planning.

“I choose to keep my schedule organized, so it becomes really easy for me,” Kirby stated.

Although there are only two students named here, there is still an entire class of students that are ready to start their new lives away from high school and into the real world. May this be a sincere farewell to this graduating class of 2017.