Been there, done that: Advice for juniors

Alexa Rarey, Staff Writer

Dear juniors,

As a senior, I can now say that junior year is the most important year. You want to make sure you’re prepared while still finding a way to have fun. Here are the top 10 tips for rising juniors in order to make junior year a good one.

#1 Don’t put things off:

Do NOT put things off until the last minute. The best thing you can do for yourself is to be on top of your work and make sure you’re not falling behind. Junior year is probably the most important year in high school, and you want to make sure that you’re showing colleges that you aren’t lazy!

#2 Stay out of trouble:

You will learn that getting into fights and/or getting yourself into trouble is the most pointless thing. There is no reason you should waste your time arguing with anyone. Fights are something you will look back on and most likely ask yourself, “What were we even fighting about?” or tell yourself, “I can’t believe how stupid that was.” Those thoughts are completely avoidable. Don’t cause yourself to look back in disappointment.

#3 Be yourself:

Your biggest achievement will come from you staying true to yourself. It’s exhausting for those who try to pretend like they’re someone they’re not. Remember that no matter who you are, there is always someone who will accept you. Don’t get caught up in worrying about how others see you. It won’t be important in the long run.

#4 Respect teachers:

As much as you want your teachers’ respect and understanding, you need to make sure that you’re earning it. You don’t want to put up with their crap as much as they don’t want to put up with yours. Treating them with respect is always going to be better than creating problems and causing stress.

#5 Standardized tests don’t define you:

When the SATs roll around, try not to get so caught up in stressing yourself out to cram for it. As long as you’re working hard in school all the time, all you can do is your best. Whatever happens is not going define your entire future.

#6 Everything happens for a reason:

Of course, not everything in high school or life is going to work out just how you want it to, but you have to know that everything happens for a reason, and you will fail at times. Nobody is perfect, but just keep trying because with failure comes life lessons.

#7 Make every day a good day:

You ultimately have the power to make each day a good one. You can choose to have a positive attitude and make the best of every situation, so try to not dwell on the set-backs and keep moving forward.

#8 Always give your best effort:

No matter what, you need to make sure that you are showing all that you got all the time. No one can bring you down if you truly know that you tried 100%. Your efforts will show, and even though it may not always seem rewarding, it will be in the end. You will be proud of all that you’ve done.

#9 Have fun:

Although school is important and should be taken seriously, you need to remember that you are still young with little responsibility and having fun is so important. This is your last stop before you’re truly on your own, and you need to make sure you’re living each day to the fullest.

#10 It’s not over until it’s over:

Don’t give up early. School still goes on even if you’ve already checked out, and you don’t want to let all the hard work you put in to go to waste at the end. You’ll see the light at the end of the tunnel, but make sure you’ve got it in your hands before you let go.