Bittersweet endings for some Falcon track athletes

Morgan Murphy, Staff Writer

Track season for Farmington’s Falcons is slowly coming to an end. Nine weeks into the season, Farmington’s girls team has a record of 5-1, and the boys are 1-5. The season thus far has definitely been a bumpy road for the Falcons as far as trying new things and seeing what athletes fit in certain events. Looking back in the earlier portion of the season, we can reflect on many honorable and applaud-worthy races. For instance, when senior Craig Granison made three huge comebacks in one meet, starting the race in as far as sixth place, and crossing the finish line in second. Or the times that senior Akili Echols and junior Jaila Brooks swept 100m races in back-to-back dual meets, finishing in first and second, scoring roughly 40 points alone. The Falcons surely took some tough losses. From losing players due to injuries, to losing points from disqualifications, they made the best of their season.

Regional and state championships are the two biggest, most competitive meets of the season. If athletes don’t succeed at regionals, they don’t get to states. The MHSAA (Lower Peninsula) regional meet is where it all pays off. All the training, running in the rain, shin splints, hamstring tears-it all comes together here. An athlete’s performance at the regional championships is where they prove themselves to be as great as they think they are, and if they are as good as they think, they’ll qualify for the MHSAA State Championships.

Last year, the girls team had a pretty good turnout at regionals. Senior Akili Echols ran a blazing 12.26 in the 100m dash prelims to put herself in the finals. She then ran a 12.20 which allowed her to qualify for the state championship, and is now her personal best 100m time. Sophomore Abby Inch (freshman) competed in the 3200m run, and came in second place to alumni Madison Trevisan. Inch also qualified for the state championship.

Regionals went as planned for the Falcons this year. Senior Akili Echols qualified for the state championship for the third time. Echols is going for the 100m dash and the 4x100m relay. Junior Micayla Martin qualified for her second time as well in the shot put. The 4×1 relay team consists of Akili Echols, 12, Jaila Brooks, 11, Janay Pope, 10, and Kylie Mckinney, 9, qualified by running a time of 50.04.

Regionals was a bittersweet competition for some of the Falcons. Senior Craig Granison was hoping to go to states this year to make up for coming up short last year.

“I was in first place the whole time. Then these two kids decided to jump 21 feet out of nowhere,” said Granison.

At regionals, the top two places automatically qualify for the state championship. While Granison was almost certain to qualify, the last round of jumps knocked him down to 3rd place. Granison ended up coming short by a quarter of an inch.

The Falcons received another surprise at regionals. Sophomore Donovan King qualified in the shot put, throwing 146-06 feet in discus.
The state championship took place on June 3. The competition was held at East Kentwood High School.