District continues search to fill principal position

Kayla Mosley, Staff Writer

In the last few weeks of December before winter break, Julie Kaminski, former principal, said her goodbyes to students and teachers as she took another principal position at Kenbrook Elementary. Due to Kaminski’s departure, the school was left with no principal, resulting in former Farmington principal, Jim Myers, serving as a temporary principal.

Since Jan. 4, Myers has served as interim principal. Initially, the district hoped to have a new principal by the beginning of second semester, but administration unfortunately could not make a decision on the next principal.

Lawrence Stroughter, assistant principal, is as in the dark on the new principal position as the rest of the school is.

“I have no idea. That is a district- level decision on when and how they will go about naming a principal,” Stroughter said.

Until George Heitsch, FPS superintendent, decides who would be a good candidate for the position, the school will have a temporary principal in place. On the other hand, Stroughter is also one of the applicants who applied for the position, and is waiting to hear more from the district.

The job posting revealed the criteria for the next principal. Just to name a few, the applicants need to have a master’s degree in education, have strong organizational skills, evidence of knowledge related to teaching, and should be able to maintain positive relations with parents and students.

Along with what the district wants, Charles Mullen, math teacher, knows he wants a boss who is friendly, nice, and someone who actually wants to work with the staff.

Since the students make up majority of the school, it is also important to hear what they want out of the new principal. Alicia Black, 11, wants someone who is “nice,” “respectful,” and “generous.” Black also believes whoever fills in the new position should focus on academics before behavior.   

Another round of applicant interviews began in late May.