Farmington’s track team off to a great start

Morgan Murphy, Business and Web Manager

Now that the track team for Farmington’s 2016 season has been set, we can take a look at some key returning athletes, and some brand new, useful additions to the team. The season is about six weeks in, and so far, things are beginning to even out very well. With a strong number of freshmen on the team this year, head coach Charles Bridges has been making adjustments and finding a comfortable spot for everyone. Last year, the team had roughly 50 athletes, and this season the team is nearly stretching to 90.

Of course, the team has a few veterans who have returned for their fourth and final year on the team. Seniors Akili Echols, Craig Granison, Casey Iles, and Christian Morrow are very valuable members who have scored a great number of points for the Falcons in the past. The team also has returning juniors Jaila Brooks, Micayla Martin, Megan Rasak, and Nick Trevisan, who are all capable of qualifying for the state championships this year. For some of these athletes it will be the second year qualifying for states, and for others, it will be their third.

Looking ahead in the season, we can expect to see a lot of competitive matchups. The Falcons 4-by-200 and 4-by-100 meter relays (which are being experimented with as of now) seem to be a very intriguing race to watch. The relay usually comes in the top three with the help of anchor Akili Echols who almost never has a problem catching whoever is in front of her.

Alas, the Falcons have lost some team members due to injuries. Junior Austin Anthony was a very great addition to the team who would’ve been returning for his third year as a competitor in the 4-by-200 meter relay. Due to a basketball injury, he had to have a procedure done on his leg and unfortunately cannot run this year, which further complicates the season for the remaining member on this relay team, Craig Granison, 12.

“With having my whole relay team from last year gone due to certain circumstances, I’m trying to balance through starting a new team and getting better every day,” said Granison. “So far this season has been a big test for me as a senior, I’m just focused on going to states after falling short last year.”

The Falcons were also greatly impacted by the loss of junior Joseph Stevens, who transferred to Harrison High School during the off season.

Micayla Martin will have a few excitable matchups this season as well as she will compete against senior Ayo-ola Sobowable from Harrison High School. Sobowable and Martin have been competing in discus for two years and seem to have personal records which are very close.

“So far I’ve been doing well, but I’m not where I want to be and there’s a lot of room for improvement,” said Martin. “Although I’m off to a good start, hopefully I can have an even better close to the season.”

As things for the Falcons are slowly starting to unfold and even out, freshman Jacody Sikora unfortunately suffered a broken ankle after competing in long jump at an invitational. It is unclear when Sikora will be able to return to competition, but hopefully soon. Sikora took second place in long jump against Groves High School, and it seems as if he will be a huge benefit for the Falcons.
Overall, the season has begun and is off to a very strong start. With some minor setbacks, the Falcons can expect major comebacks later on.