Cioroch hopes to succeed as new varsity football coach

Kory Cioroch, teacher at FHS, takes on a new position of Football coach on this upcoming year's Varsity team.

Jack Lovelace, Staff Writer

Kory Cioroch, Farmington High School’s new head varsity football coach, will have his first season as a head coach coming up in the fall. Cioroch started off in the program six years ago as a freshman assistant coach. He advanced to a J.V. assistant coach in the 2013-2014 season , then the J.V. head coach in the 2014-2015 season, then the varsity assistant for last season.

Growing up playing football, he fell in love with the sport at a young age. Although he played other sports including hockey, football is by far his favorite.

“Football is an easy thing to relate to real life, and it teaches kids how to be better people,” he said.

This position for the head coaching job isn’t easy by all means. Cioroch will look to follow in the footsteps of previous coach, John Bechtel.

“A lot of what Bechtel did football-wise will be continued next year, as well as always being professional in all interactions,” Cioroch recalled.

Academic accountability is something Cioroch feels strongly about, too. With academic eligibility being a problem in previous years, Cioroch wants to make sure his athletes keep up on their grades, so they are able to play Friday nights. In order to do that Cioroch will be monitoring grades weekly, and there will be study table in season before practice but after school. Athletes who are failing classes will have to submit grade check sheets to make sure their grades are improving.

“We need to hold kids accountable, in the classroom, on the field, and outside of school. All of that will translate to success on the field,” said Cioroch.

Cioroch also motivates this team through a competition called The Falcon Belt. This is a competition within the team to compete in multiple areas including grades and weight lifting. Cioroch divides the football into smaller, competitive teams and at the end of each period, the team with the highest score get a grade, and the team with the highest grade is awarded the Falcon Belt. It gives them a sense of accountability and pride for what they have done.

“They take it seriously, which helps kids strive for better,” said Cioroch.

With the 2017 season starting in June, coaches and athletes have to be on their A-game. As Cioroch often says, “there’s nothing better than a coachable kid.”