Changes coming to 2019-20 break schedule

Back to Article
Back to Article

The official FPS release of the break schedule.

Jacob Husband, Staff Writer

The schedule for breaks in the 2019-20 school year has been altered. Though not permanent, the breaks have a new format that many people are satisfied with and many people who are not.

Winter break in February will be changed back to its two day format that it used to have for several years. Additionally, spring break keeps its traditional one-week span, but is moved a week earlier in the school year.

The new changes have made some students feel indifferent about it while others are confused and even angry. Melvin Joseph, 11, answered how he felt the potential changes will affect himself and his senior class.

“I believe these changes will have a big negative effect,” Joseph stated. “February break may not seem all that important but it’s crucial time off of school because of its timing. The break happens soon after first semester, and this is a time when students are very mentally exhausted and overworked.”

Matthew DeMartini, 11, agrees with Joseph’s statement heavily, as a student who participates in both sports and AP classes.

“As a senior with a fairly rigorous schedule next year, it would affect me a lot because a break is a time to regroup and rest so you can get back into it,” DeMartini said.

Many of the soon-to-be seniors are very unsatisfied with the changes that are taking place. With most pointing out the changes will hurt their ability to stay focused in school, Joseph pointed out another important factor: spring break vacations.

“In the previous format, most seniors would skip the Monday before testing began and have a prolonged break, which allowed the seniors to have a longer vacation wherever they were out of town. The new format screws up vacation plans for students,” Joseph said.

It’s safe to say these students are not pleased. In fact, Joseph specifically said “I refuse to say anything positive because these changes are ridiculous.”

All of the previous things stated are important factors to consider when looking at the new break plans. However, not all of the students at FHS are angry. Asa Hollingsworth, 10, is a mostly indifferent, leaning towards a positive viewpoint.In answering how he feels about the new changes, he wasn’t quite sure. Hollingsworth was, however, pleased by the changes to spring break.

“As a sophomore, I feel like students will like it because they some space and time to study because nobody studied [the SAT] over break,” he said.

Overall, the opinions on the new break changes depend on the class being asked. It’s clear that the changes won’t please everyone, and though they are not set in stone, many people are already dreading next school year.