A glimpse at summer jobs

Riane Molloy (bottom row, second from right) with her coworkers at SpringHill. This year, they are camp counselors in the crafts department.

Kate Bird, Staff

According to Investopedia, “it’s never too early to start considering the future.”

While most students have pretty full plates come summer, many choose to get a job to keep them busy and paid through the next school year.

Although each job has its own advantages and disadvantages, all of them build character and give the teens experiences they can learn from and draw on throughout their lives.

“Some jobs will draw on skills you already have. Others may help you test out your ultimate career goals,” says Investopedia.

One popular job type for high schoolers is retail.  

“Retail sales offer a great deal of opportunity for teens that are looking for work. This type of work can be great for teens who are particularly sociable, as they will often have to interact with the public in addition to working as a part of a team,” says Investopedia.

Lauren Valli, 12, works in retail at Target.

“Retail can be harder because you may have a lot of responsibility. It also requires a lot of patience and self-control when dealing with rude and demanding costumers,” Valli said.

Valli added that the hardest part of working in this industry is maximizing time and multitasking.

“I love working there during the summer because I get to work more often, and I can work longer hours,” Valli mentioned. “I end up making more than four times as much money in a summer week than I do in a school week.”

Many teens also work in the food industry.

“A job in the foodservice industry is another natural fit for teens who enjoy interacting with the public. This job allows employees to work as a part of a team while learning about following instructions and conflict resolution,” states Investopedia.

Another senior, Jenna Keeney, is familiar with this industry as she works at Panera. One of the biggest perks, in her opinion, is the discounts and people she works with.

“We get 65 percent off food when we go on break and we can take whatever we want a home for free,” noted Keeney.

She, like Valli, feels as that summer is better in comparison to other seasons in the workplace because “it’s busier in the summer.”

One final job that teens often consider getting is working as a camp counselor.

“For teens who are natural leaders or educators, a summer job as a camp counselor is an ideal pick. This job will allow older teens to spend time outdoors, mentor younger kids and help them to develop new skills.”

Senior Riane Molloy is going to be a counselor at SpringHill Christian Camps this summer and agreed with Investopedia’s sentiment.

Being a camp counselor is unique because you get the chance to be around kids all week long, which is super fun. Compared to other high school jobs, it’s much more immersive, being that you live and eat in the same place that you work,” said Molloy.

“I’d say the most challenging thing about my job is the patience and strength it takes. But in the end, it’s still a blast,” Molloy added.

According to Investopedia, “aside from being paid”, another big perk of getting a job as a teen “is developing loads of transferable skills that will be useful throughout life, such as leadership abilities, communication and conflict resolution skills.”