GSA brings awareness with silence

Back to Article
Back to Article

GSA brings awareness with silence

Sanni Kanervo, Staff Writer

The Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) club brought awareness to the National Day of Silence on April 12 to support the LGBTQ+ community. Students who participated stayed silent the whole day.

According to nationaltoday.com, the National Day of Silence is a student-led national event where participants take a vow of silence to highlight the silencing and erasure of LGBTQ+ students at school. GSA decided to include this at FHS to bring awareness and help people participate easily. Silence in school makes a difference, and it is easy to notice.

“I think silence is a powerful thing because people talk a lot throughout the day, and by not talking we are louder,” said Sophia Kalakailo, 12, who rejoined GSA again this year.  

GSA organized the whole day. According to the club advisor and psychology teacher Tracy Kendall, student’s organized the day of silence. They made little tags for people who wanted to participate, so teachers would know who would stay silent. The club made posters to spread awareness and inform people. GSA also emailed teachers, and had a meeting with the FHS principal.

Day of Silence is not just a normal day; it has a deeper meaning. Silence represents all the people who have to stay silent about who they are. Many people get bullied and discriminated because they are part of the LGBTQ+ community. For many people, home is not the safe place to be who they want to be, so GSA tries to create a school culture that accepts everyone the way they are.

Kalakailo pointed out her favorite thing about the day of silence. According to her, it was nice to see how many students participated, even the ones that she thought wouldn’t show their support. She has advice for a person who wants to show support for the LGBTQ+ community.

“You don’t have to pick your battles, but don’t say offensive things. Most important of all people shouldn’t be afraid to show their support,” Kalakailo explained.

GSA does more than organizing a day of silence. The club is all about educating students, watching movies, having discussion days and having fun. Everyone is welcome no matter who they are.

“We do variety of different things, the club is not based on one thing,” Serena Keller, 12, GSA leader said.