Disney is damaging the film industry

Back to Article
Back to Article

Disney is damaging the film industry

Jacob Husband, Staff Writer

Disney is everywhere. It is a household name in the United States and holds the rights to some of the most important pop culture icons. But we were kids, then. Now, we should be able to understand that Disney isn’t the fun-loving company we all see it as.

First and foremost, Disney is a business. It is a corporate entity that needs to turn a profit. You can’t really fault them for that. But what you can fault them for are the methods in which they acquire that profit. Do you remember the days when Disney would create iconic characters and stories from scratch? The Lion King? Aladdin? The Little Mermaid? These are classic stories that people of all ages and backgrounds can love and relate to. Now? They just retell.

All those classics I just mentioned are currently either about to be released as a remake are in the works to be remade. Is this inherently awful and despicable? Not necessarily. Tons of people love these stories and these remakes allow it to be shown to a new generation. However, does it dumb down the film industry and even creativity itself? Absolutely. Why create new and unique ideas when you can just make money off the classics? The days of creativity in Hollywood are gone. There are diamonds in the rough, but overall, it’s a smorgasbord of stuff we already know.

Disney has already made, as of this writing, 11 remakes of previous titles, including Dumbo and The Jungle Book. They already have 10 more remakes lined up for the near and far future. Although these titles are excellent and are considered classics for a reason, the money-hungry tactic Disney uses is somewhat slimey. To be fair, Disney isn’t the only one to blame. We are. The 2016 remake of The Jungle Book made $966 million at the box office worldwide. I understand that we all love these stories, but if we want film to continue to be a beautiful and experimental medium, then we must speak with our money.

Despite our stake in the blame game, let’s not forget that Disney not only owns Pixar, the most profitable animation studio, but also Marvel and Star Wars. Those last two alone allow them to be an absolute powerhouse in the film industry. Out of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time, five of them are Disney-owned. Regardless, they aren’t stopping anytime soon.

Disney recently bought out 21st Century Fox in a $71.3 billion deal, another prevalent player in not only film, but also news and television. This means Disney does not only own Star Wars, all Marvel superheroes, and all Pixar properties, but now also Fox-owned franchises such as The Simpsons. This should scare you. If they have such a tight grip on the film industry, their power and money has no bounds. They have the potential to have a strong holding on the news and control the flow of information about their company, and other companies, that reaches the public.

Are you allowed to love Disney? Yes! Who doesn’t have a soft spot in their heart for all of these amazing and touching stories? Can you continue to consume the endless flow of Disney remakes? Sure you can. Who am I to stop you? Disney owns seemingly everything, and with news of Disney’s new hand at the streaming industry, it appears to have no end. All I ask is for people to be more wary of what they’re supporting and what Disney is truly capable of. If you truly want to change the way the film industry is looked at and have Hollywood return to an era of creativity and experimentalism, then speak with your wallet.