Kendall Williams wins football scholarship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Serena Keller, Editor

Senior Kendall Williams, captain of the football team, was recently offered two football scholarships to Northern Michigan University and Wayne State University.

Northern Michigan offered Williams a half ride and Wayne State offered him a full ride. Williams determined he will be going to Wayne State in the fall because it is closer to home, safe, familiar, and has a comfortable energy.

Getting a scholarship is no easy task, and Williams worked for years to get this well-deserved award. During his sophomore and junior years, Williams trained at the school weight room every day after school. Knowing he had to push further, Williams would go to the gym with his brothers at night, working on strength and sometimes speed and agility.

“To me, this personally means a goal I have been trying to accomplish for years, and following in my brother’s footsteps,” Williams said.

Williams has struggled with feeling discouraged because of his smaller frame compared to other football players, but always appreciated the support from his team members and coaches.

“I appreciate Coach Cioroch because he really pushed to get me somewhere and saw a lot of college potential, even when I was discouraged,” Williams said.

Coach Kory Cioroch has been a football coach at FHS for seven years, and has coached Williams since his freshman year.

“Kendall is not just a good football player. He is a very good, hard working kid. We know this is just the first stop to the beginning of his future,” Cioroch said.

Williams thinks he is a determined leader who leads by examples. Additionally, he is persistent, doesn’t look at the negatives and keeps going through the ups and downs.

Williams wants to major in business management as he sees it as the psychology of the business world. He hopes to open his own business one day.

Along with football, Williams also is on the track team. In his free time, he works out, plays video games, and hangs out with friends.