Start of a new year and a new you

Micayla Martin, Staff Writer

On Dec. 31 of each year, I wait for the clock to strike twelve, to ring in the new year. When the ball drops and the countdown reaches zero, a wave of excitement comes over me, as I have survived another twelve months. Every year, on Jan. 1, I vow that I will clean up my language habits or stop procrastinating. My mom swears to herself that she will cut back on sweets and stop indulging in desserts. We make these same pledges at the start of every year, hoping to make up for our failures of the previous year.

Whenever the new year arrives, many people see it as a fresh start. A way to break free from the previous year and make changes in their life that they feel will yield a better year. With 2018 now in full swing, the question has been posed many times: What’s your New Year’s resolution?

Some popular goals are healthy living or simply working hard to improve the attitude someone might have in life’s situations. Michaela Jenkins, 11, explained that this year, she wants to better herself as a person.

“This year, I really want to work on myself and become the best version of myself,” Jenkins said. “Be kind and nice. If I see someone who needs help, I’ll help them.”

Jenkins also mentioned, that like millions of others, she wants to “eat healthier and continue to exercise regularly.”

Good eating habits aren’t the only thing FHS students are focused on, though. Many are aiming for good grades. Seniors especially are scrambling to keep their grades up for the last few months of high school and to make sure that they don’t fold while under the close watch of colleges. Senior Calvin McGary’s concentration is on doing well in school while also remembering his long-term goals in life.

“My New Year’s resolution is to stay focused on my goals in life and to get good grades,” McGary said, also stating that he wants to work on his relationships with other people as well.

Along with setting goals comes a plan to achieve them.

McGary explained, “I’ll achieve my goals by thinking about my future and how I want it to be. My friends will keep me on track.”

“I’m looking forward to doing better in school, going to college, and being happy,” McGary said.

Being happy tends to be a common objective for people of all ages. Angel Keener, 9, stressed that in 2018, she is focusing on her contentment.

“I really want to focus on me and my happiness. I just want to be happy,” Keener said.