Movies that ranked highest in 2017

Meredith Abramczyk, Staff Writer

2017 was an interesting year for a lot of people, but everyone can agree that one of the best parts were the movies. Last year, many great movies came out from Wonder Woman to IT, but you may be wondering what the top 5 were according to Box Office Mojo.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi came in at No.1, bringing in over $604 million to the box office. The Last Jedi is about a young girl named Rey (Daisy Ridley) who shows signs of the Force and who desires to learn the ways of the Jedi. She meets Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), and he has to make a decision that will change their lives.

At No.2 was Beauty and The Beast, the live action retelling of the classic Disney story of Belle (Emma Watson) and Prince Adam (Dan Stevens). The movie brought over $504 million to the box office.

The third best movie was Wonder Woman, based off the DC Comics story of an Amazonian princess named Diana, played by Gal Gadot, who has been trained as a warrior. When an American pilot, Chris Pine, tells her about a conflict raging in the outside world and only she can stop it, she leaves her home for the first time to fight a war to end all wars where she fully discovers the length of her powers and her true destiny. The movie brought over $412 million to the box office.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was the fourth movie, making over $389 million. Vol. 2 was the sequel that follows the Guardians on a quest to find Peter Quill´s (Chris Pratt) true alien father, the reason he could hold the Infinity stone. This movie further sets up the entry of the Guardians to the upcoming Marvel Avengers movie, Avengers: Infinity War.

And last, at No. 5 was Spider-Man Homecoming making a total of over $334 million, which follows up after his appearance in Captain America: Civil War, where he fought against Team Captain America on Team Iron Man. The movie follows as Peter Parker (Tom Holland) tries to balance his life as a sophomore and a Superhero. Homecoming also sets up for Spider-Man´s role in fighting with the Avengers to defeat Thanos in Infinity War.

Though these are the top 5, my personal top 5 from 2017 were Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.2, Logan, Thor: Ragnarok, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Gifted. Movies I am looking forward to in 2018 are The Maze Runner: Death Cure, coming out on Jan. 26, Black Panther, coming out on Feb. 16, and Avengers: Infinity War, coming out on May 4.

Overall, they brought in a total of $10.6 billion, down $9.6 million from 2016.