Class of 2022 gets geared up for high school

summer badrak, Staff Writer

Freshman orientation took place on Jan. 10 here at FHS for incoming eighth graders. Students from East Middle School also toured the school with Link Leaders and looked around the building.

Students seemed excited about the wide range of classes they are looking forward to next year. But with excitement, also comes the normal anxiety of freshman year.

Jared Wurster an incoming freshman from East Middle School stated he is “worried about being the little dog of the school and getting bullied,” which are common freshman worries.

Here at Farmington, the Link Leader program seeks to eliminate some of those fears that incoming classes might have. Maggie Bean, current freshman, stated that “Link Leaders check in about every month. They have been very helpful with everything fo far.”

Link holds certain events like Cookies and Cram and the freshman tailgate to help involve the freshmen more and help them take pride in being a Falcon.

Link Leaders aren’t the only helpful students. Many kids at FHS are willing to give their best advice. Joey Jenzter, 11, said his best advice is to “stay out of drama freshman year and expand your friend group.”

Bean added to “not stress over the first week. The school gets very easy to memorize,” and to “keep grades at a good average. Freshman year isn’t a year to blow off.”

Many students also suggest joining a club or sport freshman year.

“Joining a sport this year was super helpful. I made tons of friends,” said Bean.

Overall, students like Wurster say they are “excited for new experiences in my high school career.”

Farmington also holds another orientation in the summer where students come in to get their schedules and learn where their new classes are. Farmington staff makes it a priority to help incoming classes as best as they can.

For more information about freshmen events, go to the FHS website and click on the yearly calendar.